You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. Or can you?
You likely know exactly what you need to do to succeed in the world of apartment building investment, but perhaps you aren’t making forward progress toward your aspirations. Today’s guest explores the psychology of what holds us back and offers actionable techniques to help you take control of your life! Rob Dial is a performance coach and speaker who has inspired tens of thousands of people – from college students to NFL superstars – to develop a clear purpose and then establish the habits that lead to success. He believes that leaders are not born, but groomed, and he is committed to teaching others how to become the best version of themselves.
Rob’s forte is understanding the human brain and how to hack it to get past the fears and limiting beliefs that are holding you back. Through his work with MWFMotivation, he seeks to help you dig deep and discover what you were put on earth to do. Today he describes the design of the human brain and explains how to employ that understanding to get clear on the ‘pain’ you are running from as well as the ‘pleasure’ you are working toward. Get ready to be inspired as Rob coaches you to shift your mindset and truly show up in the world.
[6:38] Rob’s spin on the ‘lead a horse to water’ analogy
[9:10] How our brains work
- Problem-solving mechanism
- Designed to keep us alive
- Move us toward pleasure and away from pain
[10:07] Why people don’t take action – despite knowing what they need to do
[10:27] How to shift your focus to the ‘why’ behind your goal
- Identify the worst case if you stay the same/don’t hit your target
- Dig deep (beyond the surface level answers)
- Ask, “What’s more painful?”
[16:34] How to motivate yourself to take massive action (when life is not that bad)
- Link where you are now to massive pain
- View your current situation as unacceptable
[18:48] Why you must dig deeper than money as a source of motivation
- Reflect on the true pain point, i.e.: control of your time
- Peel back the layers by asking, “Why is that important?”
[20:10] How a focus on the ‘pleasure’ you are moving toward keeps you driven
- Picture the benefits of reaching your goals
- Doing the difficult things (e.g.: cold calls) gets easier
[25:18] How to identify and explore your personal ‘pleasure’ and ‘pain’
- Journaling provides clarity
- What do I want?
- What am I afraid of?
- Keep asking ‘why’ to get beneath the surface
[30:43] Why Rob invested in a coach at age 20, despite the expense
- Explore strategy and mindset
- ‘I mattered more than the money’
- Took income from $17,000 to $177,000/year in two years
[37:25] Rob’s best advice to motivate action
- ‘Don’t play like you get a second at bat’
Connect with Rob
MWF Motivation Podcast
MWF Motivation on Facebook