Most new multifamily investors focus on deal flow. We know that capital flow is important, but we figure we can rely on friends and family to fund our first few deals.
But eventually, the money runs out. So, if you want to scale a real estate business, you’ve got to grow your sphere of potential investors. And the easiest way to do that is through an online thought leadership platform.
Brian Wagers raised capital for his first 361 units simply by talking to people one-on-one. And then he realized that to achieve scale, he needed to pay more attention to marketing.
Brian is Founder of Wagers Capital, a real estate investing firm with $4.1M in multifamily assets. To date, Brian has built a portfolio of 447 units in his home state of Arkansas and another 125 in Texas.
On this episode of Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing, Brian joins cohost Garrett Lynch and me to share the steps he took to get into multifamily and explain how live events helped him see the possibilities of growing a multimillion-dollar portfolio.
Brian walks us through the steps he took to build an online thought leadership platform, describing how his social media presence and podcast appearances attract new investors to Wagers Capital.
Listen in to understand how Brian leveraged my Platform Builders Workshop to build out his marketing systems and learn how to scale YOUR syndication business by focusing on deal flow and capital flow at the same time!
How Brian got into multifamily investing
- Lost money in stock market, turned to real estate
- Financial freedom out of reach with single family
The steps Brian took to shift to multifamily
- Reach out to commercial brokers
- Talk to friends and family
- Get educated in space
- Attend live events, trainings
Why live events were crucial to Brian’s success
- Surrounded by people doing deals, saw options
- Simulated live deal at Deal Maker Bootcamp
How Brian raised capital for his first few deals
- Friends and family, JVs and seller financing
- Shifting into syndication for bigger deals
Brian’s AHA moment re: scaling his business
- Limited inventory in local market
- Need to raise money outside friends + family
How Brian built a thought leadership platform
- Wife helped develop website, lead magnet
- Booked as guest on real estate podcasts
- Profile on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube
How Brian’s social media presence benefits his business
- Get word out to people you know
- Grow sphere beyond inner circle
Brian’s top takeaways from the Platform Builders Program
- Create brand image and define message
- Develop investor avatar you can relate to
What Brian would do differently to scale faster
- Set up online platform right after first deal
- Focus on deal flow + marketing simultaneously
Connect with Brian Wagers
Passive Income with Apartment Investing on YouTube
Why You Need Investor Relations Software
How I Got Started in Real Estate
Purchase Michael’s Syndicated Deal Analyzer
Learn More About Michael’s Mentoring Program
Attend Michael’s Deal Maker Bootcamp
Register for Michael’s Platform Builder Workshop
Join the Nighthawk Equity Investor Club
Access Michael’s Free Resources in the Freedom Vault
Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing by Michael Blank
Duamel Vellon on Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing EP317
Apartment Investor Network Facebook Group
Email [email protected]