According to the mainstream media, the sky is falling in the real estate market.
But is that entirely true?
While no one can predict exactly what will happen in the global economy or how it might impact real estate, Robert Helms is a student of the markets. And he can tell us how to prepare for the change that’s coming our way.
Robert is Founder and Host of the top-rated Real Estate Guys Radio Show. He has 18 years of experience working in a real estate brokerage with his dad, Bob ‘the Godfather of Real Estate’ Helms, and has been involved in development projects worth more than $300M.
On this episode of Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing, we're sharing the replay of Robert’s talk at Deal Maker Live, where he explains why the mainstream media doesn’t get the real estate markets right and why investors like us need to pay attention anyway.
Robert walks us through a SWOT analysis of the real estate market, describing the current opportunities and threats to multifamily investors.
Listen in for Robert’s insight around the purchasing power of the US dollar and learn how apartment building investors like YOU can prepare for a fundamental change to the economy and thrive regardless of the circumstances!
Why the mainstream media doesn’t get the real estate markets right
- Focus on 800 words by deadline rather than accuracy
- Information edited to reflect reporter’s opinion
Why investors need to pay attention to mainstream media anyway
- Investors are reading/watching mainstream news
- Must be able to speak to what they’re hearing
Robert’s insight on what a SWOT analysis looks like for real estate
- Analyze own internal strengths and weaknesses
- Study market opportunities and threats
The current opportunities in the multifamily real estate market
- Rents going up
- Shortage of SFHs
- Relatively low interest rates
- Investors less trusting of Wall Street
- Real estate = proven investment vehicle
- Choose markets with favorable landlord-tenant law
- Tax incentives
The current threats to the multifamily real estate market
- Inflation, supply chain and pricing
- Interest rates rising
- Tax increases
- Cap rate compression
- Challenge to find replacement properties
- Global political instability
How Robert thinks about the purchasing power of the USD
- Continues to go down over time (cash is trash)
- Price is not value, best to invest in real assets
Robert’s advice on how to prepare for an economic crisis
- Lock in low, fixed-rate financing
- Recession-resistant pricing
- Diverse tenant mix
- Proven markets with strong fundamentals
- Tax-favored investments
- Proper legal structure
- Equity stripping (own nothing, control everything)
- Triple-net or master leases
- Vigorous underwriting
- Hedge your position
Why the future is still bright for apartment building investing
- Always demand for safe, affordable housing
- Properties worth more as time goes on
- Opportunities for great operators
Connect with Robert Helms
Connect with Michael Blank
Email [email protected]