When Dan Handford got into multifamily syndications in 2018, he raised $4M. By 2022, he had scaled his capital raise to $294M.
What’s his secret? How did Dan grow his investor database to nearly 1,700 and his portfolio to 4,000+ doors in just five years?
Dan is Managing Partner of PassiveInvesting.com, a real estate investing firm with $1.2B in assets under management based in the Carolinas.
Dan’s syndication company began with a focus on multifamily but has expanded include self-storage, carwashes and hotels.
On this episode of Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing, Dan sits down with Garrett and me to explain how he worked his way up from passive investor to co-GP to lead syndicator.
Dan discusses how he finds new investors with an online authority platform and grows his team along with his real estate portfolio.
Listen in to understand why Dan is diversifying across asset classes and learn how to scale your capital raise, your team and your portfolio value in just a few short years!
How Dan got started with real estate
- CEO of chiropractic clinics running on their own
- Hired mentor and stepped away from business
The different ways to get into multifamily syndications
- Start as passive investor (LP)
- Raise capital as Co-GP
- Then take on role of lead syndicator
How Dan scaled up to raise nearly $300M in 2022
- Set up investor relations process for retention
- Build authority platform to educate leads
How Dan grows his team with his portfolio
- Devote asset management fees to build team
- Allow strategic hires to work remotely
Dan’s top challenges as he scales his company
- Acquiring assets ($661M of $750M 2022 goal)
- Hire right people from very beginning
- Residual leadership, time management training
How Dan’s outlook for 2023 impacts his goals
- $750M goal for acquisitions has not changed
- Diversifying across asset classes to reach goal
Why Dan decided to diversify across asset classes
- Investors ask about alternative asset classes
- Hire separate team with experience to manage
Dan’s vision for the future of PassiveIncome.com
- Continue to add on new asset classes
- Expand portfolio to include pickleball courts
Connect with Dan Handford
Connect with Michael Blank
Email [email protected]