Running a business is never just about the business. Being a successful entrepreneur means finding balance between your personal and professional life.
But if you want your relationship to work, you need a partner who energizes you. Someone who helps you become the best version of yourself.
So, how does a real estate investor build a fulfilling family life? How do you successfully navigate marriage, parenthood and business?
On this episode of Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing, Garrett sits down with me and my wife Vivian to find out what makes our 25-year marriage work.
Vivian and I explain why we struggled with working on the business together and how we set boundaries around work and family time.
Listen in to understand why we decided to homeschool our kids and learn how we set goals as a family to live intentionally, in alignment with our values!
The early days of Michael & Vivian’s relationship
- Met in college at Virginia Wesleyan University
- Dated for 7 years and married 25 years ago
What makes Michael & Vivian’s marriage work
- Don’t look to spouse for fulfillment
- Help each other become best version of selves
- On same page regarding values
- Communication and conflict resolution
- Complementary strengths
Why relationships can be a challenge for entrepreneurs
- Always ‘on’ and thinking about business
- Relationship can either energize or drain you
Why Michael & Vivian struggled with working together
- Can’t treat spouse like employee
- Only works if each have own lane
How Vivian helps Michael with business decisions
- Good at listening and remembering
- Asks right questions
How Vivian & Michael manage their time and energy
- Boundaries (no phone or laptop after hours)
- Clearly defined roles, split up tasks
Why Vivian homeschools the Blank children
- Allows kids to focus on pursuing interests
- School gets in way of doing what you love
How Vivian facilitates a social life for her kids
- Started homeschool co-op in community
- Encourages them to play sports
How the Blanks set goals as a family
- Michael introduced extreme accountability
- Choose best route to achieve personal goals
What lessons Michael & Vivian want their kids learn
- Live intentionally, courage to pursue dreams
- Faith in something greater than themselves
Connect with Michael Blank
Email [email protected]